Going To The Market
Okay, so now you have your brand identity, brand consistency, beautiful pictures....now what? It's time to head to the market place!
The market place consists of websites, social media, press, blogs.......and it's enough to make your head spin. Don't forget about your local market place- boutiques, craft shows, and art markets. It's easy to understand why so many people avoid this step. It also requires a heaping dose of confidence in your self and your work to pursue this effectively. As artists, many of us avoid the possible pain of rejection. It's difficult to put your heart and souls work out there for others to critique. If you are content with making your work only for yourself and a few others, than you can skip this step entirely. If you desire to grow a business then you must develop a thicker skin. Here are some great websites to help you learn to market your art!
DON'T Forget about your local market places!
Seek out craft fairs, boutiques, art markets, galleries, guilds, local bloggers, magazines, and so much more! Here are several ways I communicate with local opportunities:
- Find contact info on all your local magazines, papers, art publications, etc. This is easy to find on their websites under contact info. Look for the content editors or press release managers. Write up a simple press release on your business for anything exciting about what you do, then send this in and get published! Pretty simple.
- Because I create art jewelry, I am in touch with all the boutiques and clothing stores in my city. I set up trunk shows and pop-up shops all over town to sell and showcase my jewelry. I also offer a great marketing collaboration with these venues and it's almost always FREE! This helps you and the boutique you are working with.
- Local guilds are a wonderful thing! Get involved and get inspired! Not only will you meet other artists, but many guilds have marketing and advertising opportunities for all the artists. Showcasing your work, collaborating for shows, booking events and much more will be available as part of your membership.
- With the intense trends in social media it's important to get to know your local bloggers too. If you are on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or other forms of social media, you can do a search for art bloggers, fashion bloggers, event bloggers, etc. Reach out to them and introduce yourself. Many of them will showcase your work and write up articles about what you do in exchange for providing them with a piece to wear or own.
- Sign up online for your cities events pages. You can do a search to find all the craft fairs that are coming up and be able to apply or join in on the fun! Attend these events or buy a booth- either way I have gotten a lot of business from these!
OKAY! I think this will get you started and get your juices flowing for the next post on BUILDING YOUR EMPIRE!
Don't hesitate to message or comment with questions! Ta Ta for now y'all!